Tonight we came home after a night in CT for cousin Steve's wedding. I think Emelda was missing being part of a big family. She told me tonight she wants (us) to move in with Cousin Steve, Sara and Lexi. When I reminded her that they live with Sara's family still and that might be a bit AWKWARD, we had a BIG belly laugh!!!! I told her she would get sick of them once they started asking if she brushed her teeth, finished her homework, put lotion on... Another Belly laugh! It was, however fun to be with family and friends this weekend! She had a blast ripping up the dance floor! I was so proud of her. Emelda is able to hold her own in any situation. She is comfortable (or at least appears it) in her own skin.
One thing I am struggling with. Emelda is always close by me when we are together. I love that she is like that. I love her hugs and her caring spirit. Her demeanor changes as soon as we get somewhere with older (teenagers/young adults)... So last night at the wedding, she wouldn't dance with me and barely talked to me. Rationally, I get it... she's trying to find her independence. I was still crushed on the inside though. I think it is important for her to know that when new people come into her life the old are not "chopped liver". It's still ok to talk/hang out with them. She did towards the end of the wedding, come bounding over and gave me a BIG hug and sat on my lap! Maybe I am being too sensitive. I will have to explore this more.
We were able to go swimming today before we left! The ride home was long... Stopped at grandmas in Fairfield. Ugh, so sad. The house is there, but the life is gone from it. To see gram sitting slumped over in the chair, brought tears to my eyes. Christine, the aid is doing a phenomenol job with granny, but it is sad, because when I look into grams eyes, they are empty. I don't want her to suffer or this to go on too much longer. I pray God will take her quietly in her sleep. She lived a good, hard, life. She was a decent woman. To see her today was painful. No home cooking, no croqueting, no life. Lord, may she go to be with you, soon, I pray.