Right now, she doesn't like piano too much, but she readily admits she doesn't like it because she has to PRACTICE!!! Of course, we would all love to be able to sit down and just play! God has given Emelda the ability to play and hear music. I pray that she will continue to appreciate the music all around her.
Am I a mean mom for "making" my kiddo take piano? Some would say yes and they would also say I shouldn't "make" her do something she doesn't like. So, she doesn't like going to school. Does that mean I can tell her to stay home? She doesn't like doing chores, so shall I just tell her "ok, honey, I know you don't like doing the chores so just do whatever you wish, honey"? No, I believe as parents we need to encourage our children to be the best they can be. We also need to engage them in activities in which they can see their progress. Nobody likes discipline (that I know of). If we could all just sit down and play without any effort, how do we allow God to use us, shape us and mold us.
Piano for my child is not an option. I am not saying she has to become a professional pianist or a music teacher, but piano will be a part of her learning and development. Once she is at an age that she can make her own decisions about things like this, then she is at liberty to choose to play or not to play.
No comments:
Post a Comment